Spiders can be a pest for homeowners, but there are both natural and chemical ways to repel them. Many plants will repel insects, but will peppermint plants repel spiders? If spiders give you the creepy crawlies and you’ve noticed an excessive number of them inside or outside of your home or in your vegetable garden, there are solutions. We’ll discuss the claims that peppermint plants can repel spiders and explore how to best use the plants to keep your home free of pesky both spiders and other pesky insects.
Will Peppermint Plants Repel Spiders?
Peppermint essential oils have been used for centuries as a natural insect repellent. It’s thought that the strong scent of just a few drops of peppermint oil may irritate spiders and other bugs, making them less likely to enter a space that has been treated with it. Peppermint plants, other types of fresh mint, and other spider repellent plants strategically planted around your home can serve as a natural deterrent to spiders. Many other plants work to deter spiders as well. Planting peppermint plants alongside lemon balm plants, a lavender plant, citronella grass, rosemary plants, plants with a strong citrus aroma like dwarf citrus trees, and even an aromatic herb like a basil plant is an effective way to deter spiders.
How to Use Peppermint Plants to Repel Spiders In Your Yard
- Plant peppermint near doorways and windows to deter spiders from entering the area.
- Plant peppermint on the border or along a pathway to create a physical barrier against spiders.
- Place potted peppermint plants near areas where spiders tend to congregate.
- Make a peppermint tea spray and spray it around areas where spiders tend to invade.
- Make a peppermint-scented oil by steeping peppermint leaves in oil. Then, dab some of the scented oil around windows and other access points that spiders may use to enter your home.
- Hang dried peppermint leaves on window sills and doorways.
- Grind up dried peppermint leaves and sprinkle them around the perimeter of your home to deter spiders.
How to Use Peppermint Plants to Repel Spiders In Your House
- Sprinkle essential oil around entry points and where spiders like to crawl, like window sills, doorways, and corners.
- Place a peppermint plant in the corners of the room to keep the spiders away.
- Make a special spray bottle with water and a few drops of peppermint essential oil and spray it along windowsills and in other areas where spiders are likely to enter the house.
- Hang peppermint sachets in your house. They can help to keep spiders away.
- Place artificial plants with peppermint oil on them around the house.
Other Tips for Detering Spiders
- Remove any nearby spider webs.
- Make sure all indoor plants and even your outdoor plants are in well-draining soil so they don’t attract other pests.
- Keep outdoor areas clear of clutter, which can provide shelter for spiders.
- Use an outdoor insect repellent that contains pyrethrins or pyrethroids.
- Seal any cracks, crevices, and openings in the foundation and exterior walls.
- Seal any gaps around doors and windows.
- Place tight-fitting screens on all window and door openings.
- Place diatomaceous earth around the perimeter of your property.
- Prune plants and trees away from exterior walls.
- Make a perimeter of cedar chips around your house. This can be used in flower beds as mulch or just added protection up against your house. The strong aroma of cedar oil is a pungent smell that spiders. An added bonus is that other other insects will avoid the smell as well.
- Hiring a professional pest control company
Whether you use natural ways for keeping spiders away or choose to go the route of a professional pest control company like BuzzOFF of Southwest Florida, your spider problem can be eradicated. Natural insect repellents such as aromatic plants with a strong fragrance are always a good option and a great addition to your pest prevention approach, even if you do need to take treatment a step further. In cases where spider-deterring plants just aren’t enough, you may need professional treatment to take care of a spider infestation before any natural repellent approach will be effective. BuzzOFF’s barrier treatments and household pest control services are tailored to your specific needs for the best results. Contact BuzzOFF of Southwest Florida today for more information.
Other Posts You May Like: